I always thought caterpillars were cool. They're fuzzy and kind of cute and fun to watch slink along the sidewalk. But after the last few days, I'm not a big fan of caterpillars anymore...

For some weird reason, hundreds, maybe even thousands, of caterpillars have invaded our yard and our back porch. At first, it was just a few here and there, but yesterday I counted 27 caterpillars (that I could see) crawling around in our covered back porch, and then we found this on the base of a tree:
I don't know about you, but it kind of grossed me out. After doing some research on the internet, we realized that we actually have several "caterpillar nests" in one of our trees too. They look like big woven webs filled with hundreds of caterpillars (see picture below)--a few even fell down from the trees as were looking up!
We have never had this many caterpillars before. We're not really sure why they are here or why they have chosen to live in a tree in our backyard. All I can say is, these caterpillars are really starting to give me the heebie jeebies!!!

3 comments:
OH MY WORD. We had TEENY green ones. My kids would go CRAZY there!!! Can we come over?! :) jk
heebie jeebies is right!
That's what I thought about ladybugs until the summer/fall invasion in NC.
Post a Comment