Yesterday Parker had his 8th right heart catheterization. This is a necessary annual procedure for Parker, but it is one we dread because of our first experience 7 years ago. Thankfully, he has not had a repeat of our first experience, but I don't think it will ever get easier.
We arrived at Brenner Children's Hospital for check-in at 7:30am. To take his mind off of the procedure, Jason and I had bought Parker another Pokemon card set.
He and Jason had a battle while we were waiting to go back and Parker won again this year! He was very excited about that.
We finally went back to the holding room at 8:35am. Parker was given the "sleepy medicine" (versed) at 8:50am. He tried really, really hard not to laugh because he didn't want me to take a video this year...So, I didn't get a video, but he did giggle a little bit :) He also didn't want me to take any pictures, but I snuck a few. This is the best I could get.
Just after 9:00am we said our goodbyes and he headed off to the cath lab for the procedure. This is probably the hardest part for me--I have a hard time not thinking about our first experience 7 years ago when we said goodbye to a happy, smiling baby and the next time we saw him he was unconscious and hooked up to a bunch of different tubes and machines. I have to try really hard to not let my fear overtake my faith. Again, I don't think this will ever get easier!
About 2 hours later, the procedure was finished and Parker did fine. He tolerated it well without any complications. His doctor said that the results were the same as last year. His Pulmonary Hypertension is still considered systemic and he is still reactive to nitric oxide and oxygen. Basically, this means his PH is stable and unchanged and he is still responsive to the medications we are using to treat the symptoms. This is a good report. The results are especially significant this year because he has been having some concerning symptoms for the last 8 weeks or so. He has been a lot more tired than usual during the day and his oxygen saturations have been dropping every night, sometimes low enough that he has required oxygen. He has not used or needed oxygen regularly at night (except when he's sick) since he was about 2 years old. Because of these symptoms, we were anxious for the results of the heart cath. Unfortunately, the results didn't really shed any light on why he's having these symptoms. Dr. Williams ordered a sleep study that will be done in a few weeks to make sure there's no problems there that might be contributing to his dropping oxygen saturations and we will just continue to monitor him.
Parker did pretty good coming off the anesthesia this year. He had a half dose of Fentanyl to help him calm down and relax because he gets a little worked up and scared afterwards, but other than that he did fine. We stayed in the high acuity unit for a few hours and he was discharged around 4:00pm.
Today he has been a little tired, but he's pretty much back to normal. We are so grateful for all the thoughts and prayers for Parker and our family. We are so grateful for the love we feel from our Savior and Heavenly Father. We are truly blessed.




1 comment:
Your family is amazing and Parker is one incredible little guy. I too remember that surgery 7 years ago. I remember when I went to the hospital to visit and saw your sweet little boy all hooked up to tubes and wires everywhere I started to cry and Jen you were the one comforting me. I remember that your strength and how you had such faith and courage during that whole time of weeks in the hospital. I was there to support and help you but you were the one supporting me and showing me through your faith that Heavenly Father is always with us and if we put our trust in me we have no need to fear. Thank you dear friend for strengthening me through your testimony of the Savior and the unconditional love your have for your incredible family. We love you all and miss you tons. So glad that Parker is okay and hope that they can figure things out about his oxygen and latest symptoms. Ya'll are always in our prayers.
Post a Comment