Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Big Step!


Parker officially started preschool this morning with 3 of his little friends. It is just 1 day a week for 2 1/2 hours and the Moms rotate teaching the lessons. Parker was SO excited to wear a backpack and take his lunch in his lunchbox just like Connor does. He was laughing and giggling with excitement!

For me, this seems like a REALLY big step. I have never left Parker in the care of a friend and only our family a couple of times. We have never felt comfortable leaving him with anyone other than his nurses because of his medical condition, but we know that eventually we have to get past that. It's easier said than done, though. I keep thinking, did I tell them enough about Parker's condition? Will they know what to do if something goes wrong? Will his IV tubing get yanked or pulled? Will his dressing stay clean and dry? Will they be able to tell if he's not feeling normal?

Needless to say, I have been a little nervous about the whole preschool idea, but my desire for Parker to be involved with other children (away from me) and learn is greater than my fear. Hopefully, everything will be fine and he'll have a wonderful time and enjoy preschool. This will be a good opportunity for both of us to get used to time apart as we prepare for REAL school. Thank goodness we still have almost 2 years before then!

4 comments:

Melissa S. said...

That IS a huge step, but he SERIOUSLY looks thrilled and you couldn't ask for better moms to do it with. They will be perfect for Parker.

Wendy said...

He looks absolutely so excited! I'm sure everything will go just great!

Barbara Romney said...

pCongratulations to both Mom and Parker! I can understand how difficult it must be, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Paula said...

What a cute picture of him, he looks so happy, hope the day went well for him and for you of course. A little break is always a good thing.